Analytic and quantitative skills have become increasingly important as business practices have become more theoretical and vast amounts of data have become available along with the computing power to analyze it. Traditional undergraduate mathematics programs have been oriented to pure mathematics or towards applications in physics or engineering.
The Mathematics and Statistics Department of the University of North Carolina at Charlotte is now offering a Bachelor Degree in Mathematics for Business. The Mathematics for Business program is a solid and practical applied mathematics program that tightens the focus on business applications to better prepare students for a successful career path in the areas of insurance, finance, banking, and economics.
The Mathematics for Business program has a B.A. and a B.S. degree track. The B.S. program offers concentrations in Actuarial Science, Operations Research, and Mathematics Economic/Finance. Graduates of the proposed program in Mathematics for Business will be a valuable asset to the community. They will bring expertise in Mathematics, Statistics, and Operations Research along with excellent analytic skills to businesses, financial institutions, insurance firms, and governments of the area. The B.S. degree program when partnered with a program in Economics or Finance is an excellent stepping stone to graduate work in the areas of Economics, Finance, or Mathematical Finance.
Students in this program are also eligible to receive an Undergraduate Certificate in Actuarial Studies. More information
- Annual Alumni Luncheon on March 25, 2023: Hosted by the Actuarial Science & Math for Business Programs and the Actuarial Science Club on Saturday, March 25, 11 am – 1 pm, in the Math Department in Fretwell. A networking event for Alumni of the program and current students.
- Congratulations for Passing Actuarial Exams in 2023: Nikhil Vasanth (P-March), Mitchell Craig (FM-April).
- Thank you alumni and friends for the continued support! To give to the “Math Scholarship Fund”, open the “GIVING” tab on the Math Department website, click on the green “Give Now” box, scroll to the bottom of the screen, and type “Math” in the search box. Select “Math Scholarship Fund” or “Mathematics and Statistics Department Fund”.
- M.S. in Math with a Concentration in Actuarial Statistics: This degree provides advanced skills and knowledge to individuals seeking actuarial careers in insurance and financial institutions. In addition to acquiring statistical and computational skills, the required courses for this concentration are designed to prepare students for the Actuarial Exams needed to earn an Actuarial Designation. Students may apply for the “Early Entry Program” and begin with the graduate degree before completion of the BA/BS. Catalog
Connections with Employers and Organizations:
- Acrisure Re
- Aflac – Columbia , SC
- Aon Hewitt
- Arch MI – Greensboro, NC
- BCBS – Durham, NC
- BCBS – Columbia, SC
- Brighthouse Financial
- Builders Mutual
- FTI Consulting – Winston-Salem, NC
- Guy Carpenter
- Lincoln Financial Group – Greensboro
- Martello Re
- Mutual of Omaha
- North Carolina Department of Insurance
- Oliver Wyman
- Partner Re
- Resolution Life
- Scottish Re
- Unum – Colonial Life – Columbia, SC
- Willis Towers Watson
- Zurich Na
- Society of Actuaries – SOA
- Casualty Actuarial Society – CAS
- Casualty Actuaries of the South East – CASE
- North Carolina Actuarial Club